Thursday, January 13, 2011

Just another week....

It's been just another week at the Shilling house.  I've been frustrated with our discipline techniques.  As a result, I tried something new until we can come up with something better.  I am telling you both up front what the punishment is when I ask you to do tasks.  I have found it be very effective so far.  I guess our biggest issue this week was that when you asked if you could play outside, I told you that it was okay but to come and tell me if you went to Nicki's or Boo Boo's house so I would know where you were.  You told me that you were going to Nicki's house but failed to tell me when you left Nicki's house that you were going to Boo Boo's house.  After I called Mrs. Sheri and found you, I grounded you both the next day to your bed in your bedroom all afternoon.  I think that made an impact because the following day, you both made sure that you let me know where you were at all times.  That made me feel so much better.  You never know what kind of crazy people are out there and my worst fear would be that one of you would be kidnapped.  I may sound paranoid but you will understand what I am talking about one day when you have kids.

Another thing we have started up again is dinner devotions.  You both seem to love it which makes me happy.  My mom will tell you that it is the one thing that she regrets not doing with her kids.  I hope to get you in the habit of establishing time for God everyday.  It's hard to do because the devil does everything he can to keep you from God but you have to overcome it.  We have also started learning a Bible verse every week.  Pastor Larry at church has challenged church members to learn a scripture every week this year.  Last week, we all learned Psalm 119:11.  You both did a great job.  This week is James 1:22.  Colby is struggling with it.  He is so much like me in that if he doesn't get it the first time, he wants to give up rather than just conquer it.  He gets discouraged easily.  He thrives on positive reinforcement.

Well, off to pack I go.  Tomorrow we are leaving for Nana and Paw Paw's house since Daddy is working the boat show all weekend.  He's done great this week.  He had a great December and said he feels good about 2011.  I hope so.  We have lived off less money for the past few years but God has been good in providing for our needs. :)  I keep Proverbs 3:4-5 in the back of my mind when the devil tries to tell me that we can't make it.  It's Daddy's favorite verses and they have come to mean a lot to me too. :)

I love you both very much.  Please don't ever doubt that.  Goodnight.

No comments: