Ok...I know that I haven't written in a long time. I haven't done very well with keeping up with this weekly. I am going to attempt again. Now is a good time because I want to write what happened with Bailey today because I know that later in life, she will see the humor in this.
Today Bailey got in the minivan when I picked her up from school. She had a sad face on her and she immediately told me that she had gotten a "yellow" today. When I asked her why, she didn't want to tell me in front of her friend/neighbor, Kaylor, that I had also picked up. She finally told Kaylor, who then told me that Bailey got a yellow because she wrote a mean note about another student in her class. She said that her teacher, Mrs. Rowlett, had given her something to look at. Sophia, one of her friends, wanted to look at it. Bailey (have to check) said that she was looking at it. Sophia was upset and said something to Bailey and another girl, Hailey, chimed in rudely. Bailey took this as very mean. She wrote a note to Sophia, telling her that "Hailey is being mean." Evidently, Sophia showed the note to Hailey and then informed Mrs. Rowlett.
I asked Bailey why she wrote the note. This is where it gets funny. She told me that she had remembered the scripture that I had told her about in Ephesians 4:29 where the Bible tells us that we should not let any unwholesome/mean words come out of mouth, but only encouraging/nice words. She informed me that she didn't want any coming out of her mouth, so she wrote them down. After I chuckled inside my head, I informed her that writing it was the same as speaking it. I also told her that I was proud of her telling me first that she had gotten in trouble. I then told her that in future situations, I would first approach the person being mean about the situation. If they continue to treat her that way, then tell the teacher. I guess you had to be there to hear her telling this story, but it really cracked me up how she was so literal with the scripture but I also told her that I was happy that she remembered the scripture.
Needless to say, I didn't punish her. I am waiting to the hear the teacher's version. I have to say, I am upset, based on what Bailey told me, as to how the situation was handled. First, the teacher wrote in her planner, "She wrote a student a note that was NOT nice!" She wrote an apology letter during recess. ONE...I don't think the situation merited a exclamation point. (I feel like Elaine on Seinfeld with the exclamation episode..LOL) Next, I asked Bailey if Hailey had to apologize to her and she said no. I don't think that sounds very fair. I would have made both girls apologize to each other because they were both in the wrong. So I am waiting for a reply from Mrs. Rowlett to get her version. I am very curious at this point. Usually she emails me back quickly, but not on this one.
This morning before all of this happened, Johnny mentioned to Colby that he would get to spend the whole day with me. Colby promptly told him that I wasn't any fun and that I didn't do anything with him. When Johnny said he would get to eat lunch with him, he also mentioned that I don't eat lunch. I never thought about it, but what he said was true. Very rarely do I eat lunch when it is just the two of us at home. He's a great observer. After he said that I didn't do things with him, I mentioned that I guess I wouldn't call his friend, Nicki, to ride bikes while I walked with his mom. He quickly changed his story, said he was sorry and then asked if we could call Nicki's mom to arrange the bike ride. Hmmmm....how the story changes so quickly!! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment