Wednesday, January 20, 2010

A sad start to the week....

This has been an incredibly sad week.  On Sunday morning, around 1:15am, Nanatino called me to let me know that my Pa Paw Latino had passed away in his sleep.  I sobbed.  I couldn't go to sleep until 4am.  Johnny had been staying downtown because it was the last night of the boat show and rather than driving back home, he always stays down there so he can get the most sleep.  He asked if I wanted to come home to comfort me (since I called him as soon as I got off the phone with my mom).  I told him that he needed to get his sleep and that I would be okay.  You kids will never understand how much I loved my Pa Paw Latino.  I hope that you will have memories of him.  You both were so fortunate to have a living great grandfather for this long in your lives.  I only had one when I was born but he died on Dec. 2, 1972.  Needless to say, I didn't know Carlo Latino.  I would have loved to.  My Pa Paw Moffitt died on July 9, 1984 so Pa Paw Latino has been my only grandfather for the past 25 years.  He was such a loving, stubborn, old man.  He loved picking on me.  Over the past few years, I was calling him, "Goofy Old Man" and sometimes "Mean Old Man".  He loved trying to blame things on me.  Most of all, he loved playing with both of you.  I do have some video clips of him playing with you.  I was just watching them on Sunday and it made me cry more.  I do hope that you will remember him.  He couldn't remember your names due to the Alzheimer's but he knew that you were mine and he loved you both.

On Monday, we left to go to Kountze to attend his funeral.  On Monday night, you went to one of my friend's house to play with their kids while Daddy and I attended the viewing at the funeral home.  I had a hard time seeing my Pa Paw in his coffin but I do know that now he is at peace and he has his mind back.  He has been reunited with my Ma Maw, Edna, that he has been missing so much since she passed away in 2006.  I bet that was a sight to see in Heaven.  I can also see your Uncle Kevin running up to him to and welcoming him to a much better life, free of pain and suffering.  It really puzzled me that night when I saw Pa Paw's remaining sisters (Rosie, Mary, and Frances) there and wondered why I really didn't know them.  The only family of Pa Paw's that I really knew was his brother, Vincent.  I was amazed at how much these women looked so much alike.  I swear, they looked like triplets!  I also realized that I really don't look that much like a Latino, except for the ears.  I am not that disappointed.  They have distinct noses and that nose on me would not be flattering.  ;)  Tonight I saw a picture of one of his other sisters that passed away before him and she looks exactly the same as the other three sisters.  It just fascinated me that night.  The night ended with me, Uncle Chad and Nanatino talking until 1am.  I have to say that I really enjoyed that time with both of them.

His funeral was on Tuesday.  Wow...what a hard day.  I told the pastor some things about Pa Paw that I wanted him to know and could use in the funeral.  First, I told him that although I never saw my Ma Maw and Pa Paw be affectionate toward one another, I knew that they loved each other deeply.  I remember asking him one time about when his anniversary was.  I knew it had been over 50 years, but was curious to know what their anniversary date was.  He replied that he didn't know.  When I asked him why he didn't, he told me that he didn't need to celebrate their anniversary because he loved her every day.  That really touched me.  I also remember talking to him about the death of his father.  He was telling me about how all of his sisters were fighting over his parents' possessions.  I asked him what he got.  He told me that he got nothing.  He would have liked his father's cane but didn't get it.  I asked him why he didn't fight for it.  He then told me that he didn't need it.  He had all his memories of his father and that was enough for him.  He was probably the least materialistic person in the world that I have known.  My grandparents were odd in some ways but I loved that about them.  They didn't care what others thought of them.  For example, I NEVER saw my grandparents eat out while I was growing up.  It was not until about 5-6 years ago that they had their first fast food and let me tell you, they LOVED it.  It cracked me up.  They were loving Sonic!  LOL  Up until that point, they grew their own vegetables and my grandmother cooked all the time.  (Obviously, I don't take after her in that department.)  Ma Maw always used coupons too for everything.  That woman was the ultimate grocery shopper!  I think the stores had to pay her for her groceries sometimes.  Both of them were hoarders.  It drove my parents crazy but I had to remind them that it was because they grew up during the depression and when the banks crashed, it had a lasting impact on the people that lived through that time period.  Ma Maw was always hiding money around the house and then both were storing things, everywhere, in case of another depression.  We tried to help them clean up their house once and I remember telling my Pa Paw that I was going to throw away his tractor/farming magazines.  That man gave me a stern..."No you won't.  I need those."  When I asked him why, he said that he still looked at them.  NOT!!  But I left them for him.

The pastor used some of the stories that I told him about Pa Paw.  There is no way that I could have gotten up to speak about him.  I was crying too much and I would have never gotten through one story.  When I went up to his coffin for the last time to see him, I told him how much I loved him and that I missed him and that I hope that he had his mind back now and could see Ma Maw.

When we went to the grave site, it was hard to see Kevin's grave again.  It's always painful.  I keep wishing that I had him back in my life.  I miss him so much and you kids will never know how much he loved you both.

Both services were very nice.  Neither of you went to them.  Colby wanted to play with his cousins, Aidan and Tristan.  I asked Bailey if she wanted to go to say goodbye to Pa Paw because I know that she will have the most memories of him.  She asked me if it was going to be like Mr. Baker's from last year.  I asked why she wanted to know.  She responded, "because that funeral was not fun."  The things that kids say!!  I told Bailey that funerals were not fun, but a place to say good bye to our loved ones.  She decided that she didn't want to go so I didn't force her.

When I got home yesterday, I checked my facebook account and noticed that I had an email from an Angel Mazzola.  She was giving me her condolescences and telling me that we were cousins.  I am including our conversation below because she told me some interesting things about our heritage and I want you to know it it too......

Angel Mazzola January 19 at 4:35pm wrote....


Hi. You probably dont know me. I don't think we have ever met, but my Grandma was Jennie Mazzola, your Grandpa's sister. Sorry to hear of his passing. I just heard about it today. Grandma always spoke fondly of Luke when she would tell us stories about her life growing up. I met him a few times and he was a really sweet man. Anyway, I just wanted to tell you that I am sorry for your loss. Stacy Latino Shilling January 20 at 12:01pm

Thank you Angel. He was an amazing man. He became really goofy in his old age and was constantly picking on us. It finally dawned on me yesterday that he must have given me his sarcasm because nobody else in my family has it. LOL I wish that there was a Latino family reunion because I really feel like I don't know anybody in terms of all the cousins. The only sibling that I really knew of his was Vincent. As I looked at his sisters yesterday, I was awestruck at how much they all look a like! I told my mom....wow, I don't think I look like a Latino after looking at them! LOL I would love to know more about them and their families because they are my family too! Did you know all of the siblings well?

Angel Mazzola January 20 at 12:25pm wrote...

I have had the pleasure of meeting most of the Latino siblings and some of our great-grandpa, Carlo's sisters children and their children. A lot of extended family members go to St. Anthony's. One lady, named Rose was my RCIA sponsor in 2008-2009 when I became Catholic and joined St. Anthony's. We discovered just by accident that we were cousins. She looks like a Latino and reminds me a lot of my grandma when she was younger. I love her a lot and have become very close to her. She more like an aunt to me now than a cousin. I met Josephine a long time ago but I was really small, maybe 3 or 4 years old. I love her daughter, Marie a.k.a. Sister. I am also friends with Sister's grandkids. They are in their 20s and I in my early 30s but we have a lot in common and some mutual friends. I never met Tony because he died way before I was born. I kind of remember Vincent. Luke stands out because Grandma talked about him and the "other" Luke who was right before him who drowned in a bucket. So, I heard the "Luke story" a lot. I had a chance to get to know Lillie and she was hilarious. SHe and Grandma were best buddies. They caught the city bus together a lot. Oh, Grandma was fearless. lol. As well as Rose, Mary and Frances. All 3 ladies are super sweet and remind me of my Grandma and they crack me up. I love listening to their tales. I am really interested in our family history, to the point that I drive my sisters crazy but I love learning about the people and their culture. It's a part of us and I find it fascinating. Grandma knew all kinds of things about it and was always willing to talk about her family. Luckily, I listened and wrote down much of it but I would still love to have one more day to hear her stories and her laughter.She was very typical and wanted everyone to know that she was "full-blooded Italian." It was really cute that she had such an enormous pride about her culture, being Catholic and being the daughter of immigrants. We had a lot of good times and I'm really thankful for her influence on my life.

Stacy Latino Shilling January 20 at 5:38pm wrote....

I would love for you to share any info you have. I didn't know Carlo's siblings lived here. I knew that he came over here by himself but didn't know he had family in this area. I just didn't know much about Pa Paw's sisters. We spent a lot of time as kids over at Uncle Vincent's house. I don't even have any pictures of his sisters. The only picture I have is one of Pa Paw with his parents and his brothers.

Angel Mazzola January 20 at 5:55pm wrote....

Carlo was the youngest of 5, I believe, maybe 6. He was the only boy. So, the only people with the Latino name are your Pa Paw's sons and Vincent's sons. I don't know if Vincent had boys. How many kids did your Pa Paw have? 3 boys?

So, all the Latino sisters came to the USA, to New York and Carlo came over when he was 15. The sisters took care of him and kind of finished raising him.Their Mother stayed in Sicily. Some say she killed herself due to grief of her husband dying(he was a fisherman and died at sea from eating some bad fish) and kids leaving. Other people tell me she died from old age. I have a photo of her. I will try to post it on FB and you can copy it. Will also try to post some other pics so you can see what some of the sisters looked like. I think that Grandma and her siblings share a resemblance. I can see it in your grandfather too from the profile pic you have posted. Some people tell me that I look a little like my Grandma but I dont know how. I think I look just like my Mom who isnt one drop of Italian. I do have that Latino curly hair.That's just my luck, when straight hair is all the rage. Thank you Chi! :) Some of Carlo's sisters married into the Montalbano and Tortorice families. I think, but I havent verified it yet, that 2 Latino sisters married 2 Montalbano brothers. I think that was common. My grandma and Josephine both married 2 Mazzola brothers. I was told that Luke Jr knows a lot about family history. I want to talk to people but sometimes I am kind of shy. Glenda Piazza is pretty sharp on all of this too. There is also another lady named Gloria Fowler, her grandma, one of the Latino sisters married a Montalbano and I have talked to her. SHe has a wealth of information. I need to go visit with her again. I am happy to share anything I have, whether it's information or photos. To me, it's useless unless it is shared.If I learn anything new, I will be sure to message you. I have so much written down and just in memory. I think you will enjoy the photos a lot so I will work on finding some good pics and posting them for you by this weekend. I am so glad to "meet" you. Hopefully, we can meet in person sometime this year.

Stacy Latino Shilling January 20 at 6:04pm wrote....

Wow...I didn't know he was the only boy. I knew that his father had died from eating the bad fish. Ok...there is a STRONG family resemblance. Rose, Mary and Frances were sitting side by side and they looked like triplets to me. I wanted to get a pic but that wasn't really the appropriate time. Pa Paw and Uncle Vincent married the Anderson sisters....Edna and Lizzie. That is hilarious how they all married brothers/sisters. LOL



Pa Paw had three boys. Luke Jr., Tommy (Carl Thomas) and my dad, Charles. Luke has two boys, Todd and Lance. Tommy has one (that we found out is not his biological, but unfortunately carries the Latino name)...Carl. My dad had two boys, Chad and Kevin. Kevin passed away in 2006. As of right now, Todd has one boy, Trent. Chad has two boys, Aidan and Tristan. That is interesting to know that they are the only ones to carry on the Latino name. Have you gone to ancestry.com? It's expensive but I tried it out for two weeks and tried to find out more info, but didn't have a lot. I have a family tree that Uncle Luke gave me. If you give me your email address, I will send that to you. :)



I am so happy that you found me. I love hearing all of this stuff. I am a history teacher so this kind of stuff fascinates me!

Angel Mazzola January 20 at 8:43pm wrote....

I am going to have to write all of this down! I love it! I am a total history buff so we have something big in common.

I thought about ancestry.com but I dont have the money for it and with all of these old timers around, I thought I would just bug them for info.I havent met one person yet who doesnt want to share what they know. You know these Italians, they love talking about people from "the old country."

This is my primary email: angelmmazzola@aol.com

dont forget that extra "m". lol. everyone misses it.

Cant wait to get that family tree!

Wow, so your Dad was named for Carlo I guess. Some people refer to Carlo as "Charles" or "Charlie".

Sorry about your brother.

That's a lot for your family in a few years.

Well, I have to go study for my abnormal psychology class. I am working my way towards being a shrink. ha ha. I love people, what can I say? Hopefully, I will get to work with kids and teens. And hopefully, I can help them.

Talk to you later.

Stacy Latino Shilling January 20 at 8:54pm wrote....

I totally forgot until my husband reminded me, but Vincent had two sons, I believe. One for sure because I saw him at the funeral and he looked just like Uncle Vincent.

I just used the ancestry.com for the trial period and then quit because I didn't want to pay the money but now I am reconsidering.

Bailey and Colby, I was thinking about it.  Since Pa Paw was a full blooded Italian, that means Paw Paw Latino is half Italian and I am a quarter Italian.  That means that you both are 1/16 Italian.  Interesting.

I love you both dearly.  Don't ever forget that!  Your Pa Paw loved you too and I'm sure that he is telling Ma Maw and Uncle Kevin what great kids you are!

BTW, I had a friend that went to Sicily a long time ago and I remember her telling me that there were a lot of Latinos there. I soooo want to go there.

No comments: