July 2011 -
We spent the fourth of July with Nana and Pops while Colby spent it with Nanatino and Paw Paw. Unfortunately, we are in the midst of a major drought in Texas. One like I have never seen before! As a result of the lack of rain, none of the counties allowed fireworks this year. It was so odd because for the first time in my life, I didn't hear any popping noises or see any beautiful displays of fireworks in the sky. Although at this point, I didn't want to see any for the simple fact that I didn't want our house to catch on fire, much less, anyone else's.
While Colby was away, Bailey and I got to spend some quality time together. It was during this time that I told Bailey about periods. It wasn't as uncomfortable as I thought and I was happy about that! Bailey and I got to go visit a local bakery in the Woodlands where she learned how to make bread along with some other church friends. It was the neatest place and the owner was so incredibly nice and was amazing with the kids.
Oh, how I miss y'all when you are gone! I was so happy to see Colby come back from his time at Nana and Paw Paw's. My goal this summer was to start focusing on the positives because I know that I have the tendency to be nit picky about things with you guys. Please know that I am a perfectionist and so sometimes I react and try to rub off on you with that tendency which I am trying to control better because I don't want you to resent me for later on. So I was able to catch a act of kindness! I thought it was so sweet of Colby to do this for Bailey. He did it a few more times and it touched my heart!
We were soon off to the Colorado River with the rest of the Shilling clan for a week's retreat! It was so startled as Bailey and I traveled up there (she had attended a birthday sleepover at Payton's house so Johnny and Colby had already gone up there) as we passed over bridges were there were no longer any rivers! I actually saw boats hanging on the sides of cliffs and laying down on what use to be the bottom of the river. It was heartbreaking to see!
We had so much fun at the Colorado River. It is off of Lake LBJ. Thank goodness it is a constant level river so we had plenty of water to have fun in.
I have never seen a kid love water so much as Colby. From sunrise to sunset, that kid was in the water doing something! During our stay there, Colby learned how to waterski for the first time. I was so proud of him. He did a fantastic job! He didn't whine or say he couldn't do it. He just got out there and listened to what Pops, Nana, Aunt Michelle and Johnny had to tell him on what to do and he did it. He didn't give up after falling a couple of times either. That made me proud! I was so proud of Bailey too because she got up on the skis without any help with the rope connected to the boat. It was a big moment and although I think she liked the easy road, where someone held the rope for her, she gave it her best and I know that she will continue to get better through the years! You both have done something I haven't done before...water ski! I'm very proud of you both for going beyond your fears to find fun!
Not only was their water skiing, there was tubing galore, courtesy of Johnny's driving! His goal was to make everyone fly and I think he accomplished that on quite a few trips, especially with Payton and Katelynn! We all laughed so hard, especially the girls. They thought it was so much fun! Bailey and Lauren paired up while Colby and Carter were partners. I know that those memories will last a life time. I also enjoyed spending some quality time with Payton. I love that we have a close connection and that she will open up to me. I so long for this type of relationship with Bailey when she gets that age!

















After our trip to the Colorado River, Bailey, Colby and I traveled to San Antonio to spend the weekend with the Castillos. While we were there, we went to the Alamo. I love looking at places recounted in history. I hope to spread that love to both kids. Johnny use to hate going to historical sites, but he has learned after a few trips that these places are fascinating and not boring.


On our walk to the Alamo, we got to stop by a museum that had some cowboys outside. Colby was loving that! We had to get some pictures of both kids with them!
Then we made it to the Alamo....


The next day, we took a trip over to Mrs. Castillo's parent's house for a quick visit and then on to the South Llano River to tube. Since there is a major drought in Texas right now, the Guadalupe River is too low to float and since you guys are younger, I prefer not to take you down that river just yet because of the inappropriate behavior that goes on there.
The South Llano River was so much nicer and not nearly as crowded. What amazed me about you both was that neither one of you wanted to actually float in the river. You preferred just to swim it. I guess you were both to hyper to relax! LOL We had fun although not so much when you both learned we had to walk 30 minutes back to the car in the heat. We all had fun though! I'm glad that you got to spend some quality time with Bianca, Chase and Ava.









Right before we left, Mrs. Castillo was so sweet to buy both Colby and Chase a birthday cookie since there birthdays are so close together and were coming up!

On our way back, we stopped by Mrs. Michelle Schwandt's house in New Braunsfel. She is a dear friend of mine and I haven't seen her in a while. Bailey barely remembered her daughter, Mia, but had no problem getting reconnected rather quickly!
Colby also attended his first ever baseball camp in July. After the first day, he wasn't too thrilled. His major complaint was the heat. Welcome to Texas summers Colby! ;) He has already told everyone that he isn't going back to baseball camp during the summer because it is "too freakin hot"!.
Can you tell July was a crazy month for us?? We also visited Nanatino and Paw Paw and she made her delicious chocolate cake for Colby's birthday. You know that I got a slice! None of us can resist her cakes!
August 2011:
We celebrated our little buddy's 7th birthday. We keep telling him that he needs to stop growing up! For some reason, he won't do it! For his birthday, Johnny took him and some of his friends to Incredible Pizza for a boy's night out. They all seemed to love it and I'm glad that Johnny got to bond with Colby and his friends. I really do cherish these days because I know that they aren't going to last much longer and I don't want to forget them. Hence, this journal will help me relish in the memories.
I was so proud of Bailey and Colby this summer. They both participated in some reading programs during the summer and both exceeded any expectations that I had. I had also had it with their nonstop relationship with the TV. We started mid-summer and gave up the TV during the day which is really hard to do when it is so incredibly hot outside. So I looked for opportunities to fill up our time. It didn't take much looking. The Magnolia Library had some awesome activities going on each week. I think the one week the kids enjoyed the most was when they brought in snakes. Yikes!! I really love my kids because otherwise, I would have never gone into a place with loose snakes! What shocked me was that both kids ended up holding snakes. They are so much braver that me and I'm proud of them for that. The following week, they had a "Cupcake War" for Bailey's age group and she brought her friends, Emily and Payton with her. They came up with some of the most creative cupcakes. I was so impressed! I was sad that Colby didn't get participate but he wouldn't have cared about decorating the cupcake. He just would have wanted to eat them all! LOL

We squeezed in a quick visit with Uncle Chad for Bailey's monthly orthodontic appointment. We were so happy to see him. We also got to visit the Dr. Pepper Museum while we were there.


As the beginning of school approached, it was time to meet Bailey's and Colby's teachers. After a rough last year, I was so praying that they would both have good teachers. Thank God that He answered my prayers. Bailey has Ms. Robinson and Ms. Springer. Ms. Springer happens to live one street over from us and her dad is the principal at the High School. They are both so sweet. Colby has Mrs. Wernecke. From what friend tells me, this is the teacher that all the teachers in the school want their kids to take. That made me feel better because I definitely want him to be challenged this year. We found out a week later, that his friend, Luke, was being put into the class. I was glad to see this since none of our neighbors were in his class this year which upset him.


Both of the kids did great on the first day of school! Bailey is starting to pick her own clothes, although we had to have a fashion lesson on seasonal wear. She picked up on that lesson really quick. I'm proud of how well she is doing with her clothing selections!
September 2011:
In September, I had the awesome opportunity to read to Colby's class. I read mine and the kid's favorite book, "Arnie the Doughnut". I just love this book!! I also had to come up with an activity to do along with this book and what better activity to do than create our own Arnies?? It turned out so cute and the kids loved it. I seriously think this is the most creative I have ever been trying to figure out what to make for lips, eyes, arms, legs, etc. It was totally worth it though! What a great memory that will be!

A few days after my visit to Colby's class, I had a second surgery on my shoulder. Ouch!! Johnny was so good at taking care of me because I couldn't move my arm for 4 weeks. He even had to shave my armpits! Now, that is love! Since I wasn't able to fix my hair or Bailey's, he had to take on the task of learning how to style it in the morning. It just so happened that I found a great website that showed how to do cute girl hairdos. They even had a section on "Daddy Do's". I loved it! What amazed me is that Johnny was willing to try it and even came up with his own stylings after that. He has since joked that he should open up his own salon. He would be great at it!
Bailey also started American Heritage Girls this month. I asked her to try this instead of dance this year since both occurred on the same day. I have become concerned because she isn't outgoing at church whereas she is at school. I'm not used to this because I guess I went to school with my classmates since it was a Christian school. I saw them practically all week. She had tried out Girl Scouts in the past, but didn't care for it. I liked the American Heritage Girls because it was Christian based and most of the girls were in her Sunday School class or attended our church. It also gave the opportunity to do community service and she enjoys doing that. We have already fed the homeless on one Saturday morning. She seems to really enjoy the group. That makes me happy!
October 2011:
Are you ready for some football?? Colby started playing flag football this month. I was personally not ready for tackle football. I want him to learn the game first because going out there to tackle someone and not know why. It was so funny to watch him the first game. Just like in baseball or whatever sport he plays for the first time, he is clueless about the game and you can't just help but laugh. After that first game, Johnny has practiced with him and he has improved greatly. He even got the sportsmanship award for the second game. He really seems to like it a lot. Either that, or he just enjoys wearing the mouth guard. LOL So far, they have won 2 games, lost 1, and tied 1. He has some friends from school on it so it definitely makes it better for him to know some of the other players. Nana and Pops, Nana and Paw Paw, Aidan, Tristan, Bailey and Aunt Michelle are just some of the ones that have seen him play this season.
Bailey also tried out for choir last month and made it! Congrats Bailey! She had her first performance at the annual MHS Spaghetti Bowl. She did a great job! She loves to sing.


We also got a visit from Nana and Paw Paw along with Aidan and Tristan this month. They love coming to visit their cousins. While they were here, we visited the P6 farm in Montgomery. They have a corn maze, pumpkin patch and a variety of activities for kids to do. Nana just pretty much wanted pictures, I believe. I wanted to do the corn maze! I think the kids liked the in ground trampoline the best. It was funny when we started the maze because they all thought I was going to get us lost, but I didn't! I saved the day!! LOL I really wanted to do the longer, harder maze but we didn't have time. Maybe next time!



When we got back from the farm, Bailey got ready for her Daddy Daughter Date. She was so excited to go out on a date with her Daddy. Johnny went and bought her flowers and met her at the door. He's the true gentleman. She looked so pretty that night and he was so handsome! They went to a Mexican restaurant in the Woodlands and had a marvelous time. I'm so glad that they got to spend time together. I hope that Bailey looks for the same qualities that her Dad possesses when she looks for a husband.
On a side note. I am not trying to be negative, but I am wanting to document your growth and what is happening in your life so I and you can be aware of when things happen. Sometimes, it is good things, sometimes, it is not. This month has been a bit of a struggle with Colby because he has had some major temper tantrums which I have not seen in a long time. We are currently dealing with them and emphasizing, it is a choice that he makes. Both Johnny and I are committed to making you both realize that you are responsible for yourselves and your choices. We don't play the blame game here. That is how society is right now and I won't be a part of it. Jesus asks us to set ourselves apart and this is definitely one way that I don't want any of us to be like the world!
I love you both! Thank you for teaching me lessons every day about life. You have taught me way more than I have taught you!
Love,
Mom <3
The South Llano River was so much nicer and not nearly as crowded. What amazed me about you both was that neither one of you wanted to actually float in the river. You preferred just to swim it. I guess you were both to hyper to relax! LOL We had fun although not so much when you both learned we had to walk 30 minutes back to the car in the heat. We all had fun though! I'm glad that you got to spend some quality time with Bianca, Chase and Ava.









Right before we left, Mrs. Castillo was so sweet to buy both Colby and Chase a birthday cookie since there birthdays are so close together and were coming up!

On our way back, we stopped by Mrs. Michelle Schwandt's house in New Braunsfel. She is a dear friend of mine and I haven't seen her in a while. Bailey barely remembered her daughter, Mia, but had no problem getting reconnected rather quickly!
Colby also attended his first ever baseball camp in July. After the first day, he wasn't too thrilled. His major complaint was the heat. Welcome to Texas summers Colby! ;) He has already told everyone that he isn't going back to baseball camp during the summer because it is "too freakin hot"!.
Can you tell July was a crazy month for us?? We also visited Nanatino and Paw Paw and she made her delicious chocolate cake for Colby's birthday. You know that I got a slice! None of us can resist her cakes!
August 2011:
We celebrated our little buddy's 7th birthday. We keep telling him that he needs to stop growing up! For some reason, he won't do it! For his birthday, Johnny took him and some of his friends to Incredible Pizza for a boy's night out. They all seemed to love it and I'm glad that Johnny got to bond with Colby and his friends. I really do cherish these days because I know that they aren't going to last much longer and I don't want to forget them. Hence, this journal will help me relish in the memories.
I was so proud of Bailey and Colby this summer. They both participated in some reading programs during the summer and both exceeded any expectations that I had. I had also had it with their nonstop relationship with the TV. We started mid-summer and gave up the TV during the day which is really hard to do when it is so incredibly hot outside. So I looked for opportunities to fill up our time. It didn't take much looking. The Magnolia Library had some awesome activities going on each week. I think the one week the kids enjoyed the most was when they brought in snakes. Yikes!! I really love my kids because otherwise, I would have never gone into a place with loose snakes! What shocked me was that both kids ended up holding snakes. They are so much braver that me and I'm proud of them for that. The following week, they had a "Cupcake War" for Bailey's age group and she brought her friends, Emily and Payton with her. They came up with some of the most creative cupcakes. I was so impressed! I was sad that Colby didn't get participate but he wouldn't have cared about decorating the cupcake. He just would have wanted to eat them all! LOL

We squeezed in a quick visit with Uncle Chad for Bailey's monthly orthodontic appointment. We were so happy to see him. We also got to visit the Dr. Pepper Museum while we were there.


As the beginning of school approached, it was time to meet Bailey's and Colby's teachers. After a rough last year, I was so praying that they would both have good teachers. Thank God that He answered my prayers. Bailey has Ms. Robinson and Ms. Springer. Ms. Springer happens to live one street over from us and her dad is the principal at the High School. They are both so sweet. Colby has Mrs. Wernecke. From what friend tells me, this is the teacher that all the teachers in the school want their kids to take. That made me feel better because I definitely want him to be challenged this year. We found out a week later, that his friend, Luke, was being put into the class. I was glad to see this since none of our neighbors were in his class this year which upset him.


Both of the kids did great on the first day of school! Bailey is starting to pick her own clothes, although we had to have a fashion lesson on seasonal wear. She picked up on that lesson really quick. I'm proud of how well she is doing with her clothing selections!
September 2011:
In September, I had the awesome opportunity to read to Colby's class. I read mine and the kid's favorite book, "Arnie the Doughnut". I just love this book!! I also had to come up with an activity to do along with this book and what better activity to do than create our own Arnies?? It turned out so cute and the kids loved it. I seriously think this is the most creative I have ever been trying to figure out what to make for lips, eyes, arms, legs, etc. It was totally worth it though! What a great memory that will be!

A few days after my visit to Colby's class, I had a second surgery on my shoulder. Ouch!! Johnny was so good at taking care of me because I couldn't move my arm for 4 weeks. He even had to shave my armpits! Now, that is love! Since I wasn't able to fix my hair or Bailey's, he had to take on the task of learning how to style it in the morning. It just so happened that I found a great website that showed how to do cute girl hairdos. They even had a section on "Daddy Do's". I loved it! What amazed me is that Johnny was willing to try it and even came up with his own stylings after that. He has since joked that he should open up his own salon. He would be great at it!
Bailey also started American Heritage Girls this month. I asked her to try this instead of dance this year since both occurred on the same day. I have become concerned because she isn't outgoing at church whereas she is at school. I'm not used to this because I guess I went to school with my classmates since it was a Christian school. I saw them practically all week. She had tried out Girl Scouts in the past, but didn't care for it. I liked the American Heritage Girls because it was Christian based and most of the girls were in her Sunday School class or attended our church. It also gave the opportunity to do community service and she enjoys doing that. We have already fed the homeless on one Saturday morning. She seems to really enjoy the group. That makes me happy!
October 2011:
Are you ready for some football?? Colby started playing flag football this month. I was personally not ready for tackle football. I want him to learn the game first because going out there to tackle someone and not know why. It was so funny to watch him the first game. Just like in baseball or whatever sport he plays for the first time, he is clueless about the game and you can't just help but laugh. After that first game, Johnny has practiced with him and he has improved greatly. He even got the sportsmanship award for the second game. He really seems to like it a lot. Either that, or he just enjoys wearing the mouth guard. LOL So far, they have won 2 games, lost 1, and tied 1. He has some friends from school on it so it definitely makes it better for him to know some of the other players. Nana and Pops, Nana and Paw Paw, Aidan, Tristan, Bailey and Aunt Michelle are just some of the ones that have seen him play this season.
Bailey also tried out for choir last month and made it! Congrats Bailey! She had her first performance at the annual MHS Spaghetti Bowl. She did a great job! She loves to sing.


We also got a visit from Nana and Paw Paw along with Aidan and Tristan this month. They love coming to visit their cousins. While they were here, we visited the P6 farm in Montgomery. They have a corn maze, pumpkin patch and a variety of activities for kids to do. Nana just pretty much wanted pictures, I believe. I wanted to do the corn maze! I think the kids liked the in ground trampoline the best. It was funny when we started the maze because they all thought I was going to get us lost, but I didn't! I saved the day!! LOL I really wanted to do the longer, harder maze but we didn't have time. Maybe next time!



When we got back from the farm, Bailey got ready for her Daddy Daughter Date. She was so excited to go out on a date with her Daddy. Johnny went and bought her flowers and met her at the door. He's the true gentleman. She looked so pretty that night and he was so handsome! They went to a Mexican restaurant in the Woodlands and had a marvelous time. I'm so glad that they got to spend time together. I hope that Bailey looks for the same qualities that her Dad possesses when she looks for a husband.
On a side note. I am not trying to be negative, but I am wanting to document your growth and what is happening in your life so I and you can be aware of when things happen. Sometimes, it is good things, sometimes, it is not. This month has been a bit of a struggle with Colby because he has had some major temper tantrums which I have not seen in a long time. We are currently dealing with them and emphasizing, it is a choice that he makes. Both Johnny and I are committed to making you both realize that you are responsible for yourselves and your choices. We don't play the blame game here. That is how society is right now and I won't be a part of it. Jesus asks us to set ourselves apart and this is definitely one way that I don't want any of us to be like the world!
I love you both! Thank you for teaching me lessons every day about life. You have taught me way more than I have taught you!
Love,
Mom <3















































































No comments:
Post a Comment